Sunday, February 3, 2013

King For a Day (A Mardi Gras Freebie)

Have you noticed, all the special days have been lining up lately?
100th Day, Groundhog Day, Super Bowl.  Up next . . . Chinese New Year, Mardi Gras, Valentine's Day.  Wow, wow, wow!  Lots of chances to mix up your class's routine and maybe expose your sweeties to some unfamiliar traditions and events.
I wanted to share some of the Mardi Gras activities I'll be using with my firsties.  Mardi Gras is on February 12th this year.  After learning a bit about Mardi Gras traditions and before having some King cake, students will make this craftivity and write about if they were king for a day.
Click on one of the pictures below if you want your free copy.
I have also included a spelling practice recording sheet if you do not want to use this pattern for writing.
One book we will read is Timothy Hubble and the King Cake Party by Anita C. Prieto.  I ordered my copy from Amazon.  If you have any favorite Mardi Gras children's books, email me.  I would love to add more to my collection.
As far as the King cake, if you do not have a bakery in your area that makes them, check online.  There are many mail order resources.  
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment