Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bunny Cakes: A Language Arts Mentor Text and a Free Graphic Organizer

I'm still playing a bit of catch up from being gone all last week.  On my still to do list is laundry and my mentor text post.   H m m m decisions, decisions.  I think I'll choose mentor text.
Collaboration Cuties is hosting an ongoing mentor text link up with rotating topics.  This week's topic is fab books for ELA skills.  My mentor text this week is Bunny Cakes by Rosemary Wells.
This book is part of the Max and Ruby series.  I chronicles Ruby and Max's efforts to make two very different birthday cakes for their grandma.   Bunny Cakes is a simple story with fun illustrations.  There are many skills you can cover with this book, such as retelling the plot.
Below is a somebody wanted graphic organizer you can use with Bunny Cakes.  Students can choose which character to focus on for this activity.  Each character wants the basically same thing, to make a fabulous cake for grandma, but they face different challenges accomplishing their goal.


Click on the picture below if you would like a free copy of this graphic organizer.



Here's the scoop . . .
Thanks for reading and remember, there are other Mentor Text recommendations at Collaboration Cuties.

4 comments:

  1. I love this book! I used it at the end of the year to teach " how to" writing. After reading the book, I had the kiddos write about how they would make a cake of their own. The responses were very interesting! Thanks for sharing your freebie. I'm going to add it to writing file!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this book! I will have to check it out! I can't imagine why you'd rather blog than do the laundry...hmmmmmmm...

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and the GO will help our kiddos a great deal! Thank you!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete